Las Gallinas, a village south of San Antonio, was often called Gaina by the Silesians who settled there in the 1850s. Eight families in Las Gallinas organized St. Joseph’s Catholic Church in 1876. These original parishioners were Kasper Kalka, John Korus, Anna Skwortz, Joseph Kindla Sr., Anna Salzman, Wilfred Toudouze, Victor Hug, and Frank Keenas. Another local member, John Kalka, built a temporary church. When it was not possible to celebrate Sunday Mass, due to the lack of a priest, the faithful would gather at Kasper Kalka’s home to recite the fifteen mysteries of the rosary and the litany of the saints. In 1881, Anna Salzman, Kasper Kalka, and John Korus each donated one acre of land to support a permanent church. The Diocese closed the parish in 1981. Tragically, a fire destroyed the century-old St. Joseph’s Catholic Church on December 15, 1983. As a result, the only landmark that still exists to remind travelers of the parish is the old St. Joseph Cemetery, which was located about a mile to the west of the church.